On some days, you just want to make simple dishes and call it a day. Whether you have a lot of time on your hands or not, this easy rava upma recipe will come in handy.
Made with coarse rava (or semolina or sooji) and vegetables, it is healthy and delicious! Make sure to brew a cup of refreshing Malgudi Days Indian filter coffee to finish off your meal.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup coarse sooji/rava
- Small piece ginger finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 ripe medium-sized tomatoes
- 3-4 green chillies (fresh) finely chopped
- Curry leaves- 1 string
- 2 tsp fresh/dry coconut (optional)
- Roasted cashews (small handful) optional
- Salt according to your taste- 1-1/4 tsp
- 3 tsp oil
- ½ red capsicum, baby peas and chopped carrot
- 1 spoon mustard seeds
- 1 spoon urad dal
- 1 spoon chana dal
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Roast the sooji/ rava in a pan with little ghee until a mild aroma is released. Add seasoning ingredients and stir for a minute to combine - do not burn or over roast. Set aside.
- Cook the vegetables, such as peas and carrots (not the capsicum) and set them aside.
- In a pan, add oil & allow it to become hot. Add the chopped onions, capsicum, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves.
- Once the onions turn transparent, add the tomatoes and cook until soft. Add the cooked vegetables and sauté with the tomatoes and onion mixture until they blend well.
- Add 2 cups of boiled water to the vegetable mixture.
- Allow the water and the mixture to boil for a couple more minutes. When it is really boiling add the roasted rava to this slowly. Mix well so that there are no lumps formed.
- Serve hot with Coconut chutney and Malgudi Days coffee.
- Garnish with roasted cashew, dry or fresh coconut and chopped coriander.