These hot and crispy Brinjal Bajjis are the perfect snack for a rainy day or chilled evenings - with your favourite MD coffee served on the side of course!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 Medium eggplant. Wash and cut into thin slices and soak in water so it does not turn black
For making the batter
2 cups fine besan or chick pea flour- sieve and keep it ready
1 big spoon rice flour
1 cup chilled soda water
1 small tsp red chilli powder
¾ small tsp salt
½ tsp crushed ajwain or carom seeds (available at Indian grocery stores)
Water as required
Oil to fry
- Mix all the above ingredients initially with chilled soda water.
- Add required water slowly until the batter is consistency enough to dip the brinjal slices
- Warm oil in a deep wok or pot, once the oil is hot enough, dip each brinjal slice in the batter and fry until they are golden brown.
- Turn the brinjal in the oil on both sides until done
- Serve with either mint chutney or tomato chutney and sip your MD coffee on the side.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
½ cup mint leaves, washed
Few strands coriander leaves
2 green chillies
1 big tsp fresh coconut
1 small piece ginger
2 small pods garlic
Salt as required
A squeeze of lemon juice or one tsp yoghurt
Put all the above ingredients in a blender to blend well except for lemon juice/ yoghurt. Add salt and lemon juice or yoghurt.