Not sure what sweet to prepare for the festive season? This simple burfi is a classic Indian dessert, fragrant and decadent enough to make it a favourite amongst your friends and family.
- 1 cup besan or gram flour
- 1 cup ghee ( I melt it so that it mixes easily)
- 3/4 cup each of almond and cashew powder
- 1 cup grated coconut or desiccated coconut
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups sugar - I use 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- A few saffron strands
- Roast the besan or gram flour mildly until the moisture evaporates.
- Mix the ghee with this and make sure there are no lumps.
- Add the almond and cashew powder slowly into the pan.
- Add the rest of the items except for the cardamom powder and saffron strands.
- Keep this on medium flame and continue to cook. Make sure that the mixture does not burn.
- Stir the mixture until it thickens and starts to separate from the pan. This could take approximately 45 minutes.
- Grease a mould or plate lined with baking paper.
- Once you notice that the mixture has thickened, pour it into the mould.
- Allow it to set for 15-20 minutes
- Finally, cut the burfi into diamond shapes and store it in airtight containers. It stays fresh for two weeks easily in the fridge.