By Bhamini S.
If you’ve been searching and searching for a healthy, weight-loss recipe, you’ve just found the perfect one!
A green moong salad is full of health benefits, can be customised as per your taste, and is one of the simplest salads you could prepare for dinner. Its fibre content is known to reduce LDL cholesterol and contains ample antioxidants which your body requires.
- One cup moong sprouts (washed). These are readily available from your greengrocer.
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- Optional: Grated fresh carrot, chopped cucumber, fresh chopped tomato and a squeeze of lemon
- In two cups of warm water, allow the sprouted moong to be semi-cooked for a few minutes. Make sure the sprouts are soft but still a little bit crunchy.
- Drain the water.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- You can squeeze a little lemon juice and some roasted peanuts if desired.
- Add the grated carrot, cucumber and tomato if using.
This recipe makes a beautiful, fresh salad, bursting with flavour. It's a great weight-loss salad, keeping you fuller for longer so you can curb the temptation to keep snacking.
- If you can't find sprouted moong, you can also prepare them at home. Wash & soak whole green gram overnight. The following day, drain the water and tie in a thin muslin cloth, invert in a bowl and cover the bowl for a day or two. If the weather is warm, the sprouts will appear sooner.