Carrot Halwa is a classical Indian dessert, this is also known as gajar Ki Halwa
(In Hindi- carrot is known as Gajar- Halwa means pudding). Gajar ka Halwa is a delicious and popular sweet made with few ingredients, carrots, milk, sugar, and flavored with cardamom.
Carrot Halwa is a perfect dessert for any celebration. OR if you are craving for sweet dish after dinner.
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
Total time 55 minutes
1 Cup- 250 ml
- 4 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup light fresh cream or milk powder
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (or ghee)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 6-8 cashew roasted and broken (for garnishing)
- Roast the cashew nuts and set aside for the garnish.
- Take a heavy bottom pan or a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups milk, 1 cup light fresh cream or milk powder and grated carrot and allow the carrot to become soft and fully cooked. Add 2 spoons sugar as well. I pressure cook it until 1 whistle by keeping on a medium flame
- Once the cooker is cool, add the remaining sugar and cook the above ingredients until there is no water and the carrots are dry, by this time the carrots should change colour slightly. This could take about 10-15 minutes.
- Add remaining ghee or butter, cardamom powder and stir-fry for another three to four minutes until the halwa starts to leave the side of frying pan.
Garnish with cashew nuts.
Carrot/Gajar Halwa can be refrigerated for up to one week and kept in the freezer for up to two months.
When ready to serve just warm.