Carrot Halwa is a classical Indian dessert, this is also known as gajar Ki Halwa
(In Hindi- carrot is known as Gajar- Halwa means pudding). Gajar ka Halwa is a delicious and popular sweet made with few ingredients, carrots, milk, sugar, and flavored with cardamom.
Carrot Halwa is a perfect dessert for any celebration. OR if you are craving for sweet dish after dinner.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
(1 Cup - 250 ml)
- 4 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup light fresh cream or milk powder
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (or ghee)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 6-8 cashew roasted and broken (for garnishing)
- Roast the cashew nuts and set aside for the garnish.
- Take a heavy bottom pan or a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups milk, 1 cup light fresh cream or milk powder and grated carrot, and allow the carrot to become soft and fully cooked. Add 2 spoons of sugar as well. I pressure cook it until 1 whistle by keeping it on a medium flame
- Once the cooker is cool, add the remaining sugar and cook the above ingredients until there is no water and the carrots are dry. By this time, the carrots should change colour slightly. This could take about 10-15 minutes.
- Add remaining ghee or butter, cardamom powder and stir-fry for another 3-4 minutes until the halwa starts to leave the side of the frying pan.
- Garnish with cashew nuts.
The carrot halwa can be refrigerated for up to one week and kept in the freezer for up to two months.
When you are ready to serve it, just heat it to make it warm.
A bowl of carrot halwa goes perfectly with some Traditional Indian filter coffee. You can even serve this combination when guests come over.